Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Welcome to the hectic years

Hi, I'm Mindi.


And this is our Hectic Life.


Tuesday, December 21, 2010

God's Grace and Parenting

20101216_5016


I recently picked up a book about applying God's grace to parenting. And marriage. And I have to say that it's opened up a whole new world for me. For a long time I've rebelled against the train of thought that my children should 'obey' me, simply because I'm the parent. Because I'm bigger, and stronger, and I pay the bills. This book shows through scripture why this doesn't have to be the only train of thought when it comes to parenting your children. Although I'm not finished with the book yet, so far I love it. It applies to us, our family, and to me personally. Today, while in the grocery store, I started applying some of it's principals when we had a sticky situation in the pasta aisle. A situation that could have ended up with screaming children and an angry mommma. And it worked for me, enough to diffuse the situation and give us all a chance to breathe. And still finish the grocery shopping without further incidents.
As I was saying to Kevin the other day - we're not bad parents. We're truly not. But we're also not the best parents that we can be. There is so much more we can do to help us raise kids to love God, each other, and themselves. So in the midst of the holiday rush, the Christmas shopping and gift wrapping, cookie baking and craft making, I'm trying to apply God's grace to daily life. And coupled with my resolution not to be so judgemental, it's making me a happier person.

And a better mom.

20101221_5121


20101221_5155

20101221_5111

3 comments:

Amanda December 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

I might need that book.

Ann Y January 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

Hi Mindi,
For a long time I've wanted to drop you a note about the beautiful pictures you take. I know you've said you have some special attachments that can help but you have a wonderful eye that captures so much in one picture. Thank you for sharing your love of your subjects.

mindi January 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

Thank you Ann! That is very sweet of you to say :)


View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP